lunes, 23 de abril de 2012

You Want to Do What? My Mother's Choice to Hav... [J Genet Couns. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

You Want to Do What? My Mother's Choice to Hav... [J Genet Couns. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

J Genet Couns. 2012 Apr 11. [Epub ahead of print]

You Want to Do What? My Mother's Choice to Have Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing.

Source

Division of Hematology/Oncology/BMT, Nationwide Children's Hospital, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA, elizabeth.Varga@Nationwidechildrens.org.

Abstract

As a genetic counselor, I had mixed opinions when my mother told me of her intent to undergo genomewide, SNP-based direct-to-consumer (DTC) genetic testing. I cautioned her that results could be misleading, could increase anxiety and were often of limited clinical validity or utility. I warned of the possibility of learning unintended health information and expressed concerns about how the information might be used by a private company. I told her about the variability in results among companies. Yet, she persisted in her desire, reminding me that she was an informed consumer. After reviewing her goals and understanding of the information she might receive, she elected to proceed. Despite my insistence that I would not be her personal genetic counselor, when the results came back, I found myself immersed in her genetic data. In this manuscript, I will examine how this personal experience challenged my perceptions of DTC testing.
PMID:
22491969
[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario