miércoles, 23 de octubre de 2013

One in a Million: Victoria Oakey's Story - Lipoprotein Lipase Deficiency (LPLD) community - RareConnect

One in a Million: Victoria Oakey's Story - Lipoprotein Lipase Deficiency (LPLD) community - RareConnect

RARECONNECT
Online Communities For Rare Disease Patients
The challenges of living with Lipoprotein Lipase Deficiency 
RareConnect

One in a Million: Victoria Oakey's Story


About me and my diet and living with LPLD.
Written by vickioakey0612, published 13 days ago.
One in a Million: Victoria Oakey's Story I was diagnosed only recently, (I am 45), it was a complete shock for days as the only symptom I have of LPLD is a xanthoma on my wrist. So far, I have not had any problems with my pancreas or health so this is a big adjustment but I have been told I am taking it really well. I deal with it by knowing the coping skills of positive thinking, mindfulness, relaxation and meditation combined with a low-fat, low-sugar diet. I have low-fat carbs, no alcohol, only skimmed milk products, lots of beans for protein, white crab meat, and once a week I eat grilled chicken. The diet is working for me and this will hopefully keep a potentially grumbling pancreas at bay and slow the condition right down.
Since changing my diet I cannot actually eat fatty food without experiencing abdominal pain which has put me off the bliss point (ie a particular ratio of fat and sugar in food) which is a good thing as I no longer want to eat the foods that are bad for me. I love cooking and would be interested in swapping low-fat foods and receiving recipes.

A Bit More About Myself
I am single, no children and I care for my Mother who has just turned 80 we had lunch with relatives, with champagne, balloons and a cake. I live in Witney Town, Oxfordshire, I was born prematurely in Oxford in 1968 weighing just 2lbs 4ozs and luckily pulled through with the help of an incubator and was adopted in 1969. I enjoyed my childhood in a village, and loved the pursuits of horse riding and hockey, appreciating the countryside, listening to music and reading.
I went to a private primary school in Burford then to Burford School which were certainly very different, therefore I like both classical music and alternative rock. I am an environmental and animal welfare activist and spread awareness of issues and sign petitions and send emails advocating change for the better. I believe in protecting and conserving our environment, wildlife, domesticated animals and food for the good of all. I agree with traditional methods of organic field farming and I am against factory farming and GMO's for many sound reasons. I have a BA (Hons) Degree in English Studies from the University of Westminster in London although my previous jobs mainly involved admin roles.
My interests are reading independent news, eco-activism, connecting with people, listening to music, nature, bird-watching, cooking, gardening and quantum physics.
I have a youtube channel for my music and you can google me if you like.
I will add to my story soon and look forward to connecting with you.

Latest Lipoprotein Lipase Deficiency (LPLD) Community Activity


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario