sábado, 24 de mayo de 2014

CDC Around the World This Week: HIV/AIDS

CDC Around the World This Week: HIV/AIDS

CDC Around the World



IN THIS MESSAGE:
Photo of the Week
PHOTO OF THE WEEK
CDC is working around the world to fight HIV/AIDS. In this
photo, young women are waiting to be seen at the antenatal care
clinic at Sambyu Health Center in Namibia. 
View full-sized photo
Spotlighted Topic of the Week: HIV/AIDS
In the News
On the Calendar


Spotlighted Topic of the Week: HIV/AIDS
Blog of the Week
PUBLIC HEALTH INFORMATICS IN ACTION IN MALAWI
Keeping track of even one patient undergoing treatment for HIV/AIDS can be complicated enough. Doing it for over 472,865 patients when you’re a low income country coping with high demand and a sputtering economy magnifies the complexity. Which is why Malawi’s story – and its solution – is attracting attention and praise. It’s a story of how Electronic Medical Record System (EMRS) technology is being used and the foresight needed to bring it to reality. You don’t have to look far to see the positive results…read blog
Blog of the Week
Infographic of the Week
ANTIRETROVIRAL DRUGS FOR HIV
View full-sized infographic
Infographic of the week: HIV+ people on oral antiretrovirals are 96% less likely to transmit HIV.
Video of the Week
MALAWI: TOWARDS A GENERATION BORN HIV-FREE(from UNICEF)
Malawi has taken a simplified approach towards protecting babies from being born with HIV. The results have been remarkable…watch video
Video of the week
Story of the Week
SARAFINA’S STORY: AN EXCEPTIONAL HIV COUNSELING AND TESTING PROVIDER IN NAMIBIA
In 1992, Ms. Sarafina Kafungu received news that would change her life: she was HIV positive. However, it took her a while to accept that fact. “I was in denial for eight years. I told people lies, told them I had skin problems, not HIV,” she remembers. “I suffered because I didn’t have information about HIV, but honestly, I did not want any information.” Then, one day, a woman from her church approached her. “I was very sick at that point. She told me to get up from my bed, to ask for forgiveness, to tell the truth. That day I told my mother, who was taking care of me, and I began telling people who would come visit me about my HIV status.”…read story
Story of the week
In the News
Worried about MERS? Worry about polio instead
Los Angeles Times, May 21, 2014

Progress continues in fight against AIDS
Houston Chronicle, May 12, 2014

Video: Second case of MERS in U.S.
ABC World News, May 12, 2014

Second case of MERS in U.S. is health-care worker in Saudi Arabia, visiting family here
Washington Post, May 12, 2014
On the Calendar
May 31: World No Tobacco Day
June 5: World Environment Day
June 15: World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
June 19: World Sickle Cell Day
June 20: World Refugee Day

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario