miércoles, 2 de septiembre de 2015

A Sepsis Nurse Shares her Personal Experience with Sepsis | Safe HealthcareSafe Healthcare | Blogs | CDC

A Sepsis Nurse Shares her Personal Experience with Sepsis | Safe HealthcareSafe Healthcare | Blogs | CDC

CDC. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC 24/7: Saving Lives. Protecting People.



A Sepsis Nurse Shares her Personal Experience with Sepsis

Posted on  by CDC's Safe Healthcare Blog

Susan A. Irick, MS, RN, ACNP-C

Susan A. Irick, MS, RN, ACNP-C
Guest Author: Susan A. Irick, MS, RN, ACNP-C
Disease Manager for Pneumonia and Sepsis
Northeast Georgia Medical Center
Sepsis is a term I have heard my entire nursing career. It never had quantifiable significance to me until the past 3 years. Now, sepsis has become an up close and personal demon that I have thankfully beaten twice. I have been the Disease Manager for Sepsis at Northeast Georgia Medical Center for the past 3 years and I have learned more than I really wanted to know about sepsis.
My first sepsis story started on Mother’s Day, 2014. I am a diabetic and, at that time, I had to wear an insulin pump. I noticed my pump site was red and hot. I changed the pump site and called my practitioner for an antibiotic. The site became redder and larger. I began having severe dizziness, nausea, cold sweat and confusion. My colleagues took me immediately to the Emergency Room, and the doctor told me I had severe sepsis. I, of all people, did not even comprehend that I had sepsis. I was admitted to the hospital and stayed for 11 days. The wound was cultured and I was found to have MRSA. I received several intravenous antibiotics, blood products and fluids. I had heart failure, anemia and several other related problems. I do not remember most of the time I was in the hospital. It took me about three months to fully recover.
My second episode of sepsis occurred in April 2015. I had a permanent pacemaker placed in March. About 3 weeks later, my pacemaker pocket became very red and swollen. I went to the Emergency Room early and was admitted again with severe sepsis. This time, I stayed in ICU for four days getting antibiotics and fluids. I was much sicker this time. The pacemaker had to be removed. I had a wound vac and was on IV antibiotics for 7 weeks.
It is critical to recognize sepsis quickly. Time is the major factor for survival. Mortality due to sepsis increases 7.6 percent for every hour that passes without treatment. Sepsis is an “equal opportunity killer” – it can kill anyone no matter their age, race, color or creed. There are those who are more susceptible to sepsis including the very young, the very elderly, people with certain chronic diseases and people with altered immune systems. Any type of infection can cause sepsis.
ALL healthcare providers should become familiar with sepsis. Another important part of sepsis survival is patient education. It is important to recognize the signs of sepsis and seek timely, proper treatment. Everyone should have an advocate with them to clue caregivers to look for sepsis. In my job, I also stress the importance of vaccinations including the flu vaccine and the pneumonia vaccines (including the PPSV23 and PCV 13) as part of the prevention of sepsis.
I am so thankful that I survived my episodes of sepsis. I hope that we, as health professionals, can learn how dangerous this condition can be and ensure that our friends, families, neighbors and patients are aware and not affected by this dangerous killer.
Posted on  by CDC's Safe Healthcare Blog

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario